Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Church & Spiritual Thinkings

This is going to be one of those churchy posts and will include a lot of the dear feelings of my heart.
I spent the early afternoon today watching an announcement and a press conference from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. On January 2, 2018 our dear prophet and 16th President of the Church, Thomas S Monson, made his way back home to our Heavenly Father and I'm sure had quite the reunion with his wife and countless others who loved him dearly. Let me just say that I know that he was a prophet of God, and that he loved God and served others any way he could. He was a great man, and I will miss his smile and stories dearly. But even though our prophet was gone those priesthood keys were not, how awesome is that. The church was able to keep going because the rest of the apostles had all those keys and would be able to determine our next First Presidency. We knew that President Russell M Nelson would be our next prophet because he is the one who has been an apostle the longest, but who would he pick as his counselors? There are so many great men in the quorum of the 12 so I honestly had no idea. But when it was announced that his counselors would be Dallin H Oaks (a personal favorite of mine) and Henry B Eyring I was not surprised. I know that these 2 men will aide President Nelson in continuing God's work. As I heard these 3 men talked I knew that this is God's church and he is in control of it.
During the press conference the topic of Women and the Church came up. I loved Pres Nelson's response (watch the press conference here) and it helped solidify my feelings about my place as a woman in this church. Yes I will never hold a place in the church of any real recognition and I won't hold the priesthood like the men of the church do. BUT that does NOT make my place any less than any man's. I currently am serving as a counselor in my ward's Primary Presidency. I've only been in this calling since the 1st of the year (so not even a month yet), but I have come to realize just how important the Primary is. It is where the beginning of a lifelong testimony starts. It's where the teachings you are taught at home get solidified and reaffirmed. Where you are taught the basics of the gospel and the things that REALLY matter. I mean I taught sharing time this last Sunday about the plan of salvation to a room of children ranging from age 11 down to age 3. 3 years old and being taught the basics of a big gospel principle! And do you know WHO is called to this leadership position??? WOMEN! And I am slowly realizing why it is that women are in the primary. It's because women are just capable of giving out love, and love is just what some children need. It is by showing love that children are able to learn about their Heavenly Father and Savior. I just can't picture a man doing the things that women do in primary (that doesn't mean that a man can't do it). Women are needed in this church and if you want to know what the First Presidency thinks of women and the church just listen to that press conference.
I love this church. I love my Savior more than words can say. I know that God has a plan for me even though I often don't know it or even agree with it at times. And if you want to learn more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints go to lds.org.

No comments: