Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Is it better to keep your mouth shut or state your opinion on what might be considered sensitive matters. Over the past month there have been so many instances when I wonder if it had been better to just keep my mouth shut instead of stating my opinion/thoughts/feelings on things. And in turn I have had people mad or offended. Is it better for people to know where you stand on things or for you to always be at peace/get along with them? I have mentioned feelings and frustrations to people and they have either passed word along to others who got the wrong idea or been upset by what was told to them, or they themselves have yelled at me. It just seems lately that if I say anything to anyone about my own thoughts or feelings, people just get all bent out of shape or attack what I have said. Over this past month or so there have been damages made to relationships. People from work who I considered friends are no longer people I share things with because it ends up getting twisted and misunderstood. Family and friends who I share things with end up getting the wrong idea or jump to conclusions, and in turn trust is lost or the relationship is damaged. I have always been one to avoid contention and to keep the peace, but I am also one who isn't afraid to share my opinion on things too. So I am put in an interesting position, because it seems no matter what I end up in an uncomfortable situation. So, is it better to just keep the peace or to share my thoughts/feelings with others? I am really at a loss of what to do.

2 comments:

Jess Meredith said...

Wording/phrasing is key... Timing is also a factor.

It is one thing to differ in opinion, it is another to make it sound accusatory.

Timing is the hard part, but wording can often help with that. It's a hard thing to balance.

Though we may argue and have our differences, Marisa, it will only ruin what we let it ruin.

Marisa said...

This was not in response to our recent conversation, it has in fact been happening a lot as of late. And for some reason all the sudden people are reacting this way, even though I am still the person I always have been.
It is very frustrating, and I needed to let it out somewhere.