So I missed some days, but I am going to just sum it all up now. I will end this challenge with a little more about some traditions and with what Christmas is all about.
Each year at Christmas I make Christmas cookies. It just doesn't feel like Christmas without those cookies. They have become quite popular with people I know. They are so good, especially with a pepsi. I often hand them out as neighbor gifts, but I didn't this year. I love those cookies.
Christmas Eve Traditions - So Christmas Eve was last night, so I thought I would talk about the traditions of the past and the present. When I was a kid on Christmas Eve we would get together with my mom's family. In the beginning we would get together and eat ham, rolls, and funeral potatoes and play games or just visit. As I got older the food changed to being pizza. Also as the years went on less and less of us got together as cousins grew up and got married and such. Last year I believe it was just my family and my aunt Jean's family (well some of her family), but it varies from year to year. Every year after the family party I would watch the end of "It's a Wonderful Life" (I have only seen the beginning half a dozen times) and then go to KBYU or PBS and watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Concert that was broadcasted, if it was on anyway. I would fall asleep to the choir singing Christmas carols.
This was my first Christmas with Jared as a married couple. I unfortunately had to work most of Christmas Eve, but we spent the night together. I received a coupon for a free ham or turkey from my work, so we had us a honey glazed ham for dinner. We also had funeral potatoes, corn, salad, rolls, and egg nog. We ate our dinner with only candlelight and Christmas lights to light the room. It was quite romantic. While cooking our dinner we watched some of our Christmas movies ("How the Grinch Stole Christmas" "Santa Claus is coming to Town"), which I think will be a usual thing for us. After dinner we watched "It's a Wonderful Life", which will ALWAYS be something we do on Christmas Eve. Before going to bed we read about the birth of our Savior, both in the bible (Luke 2 to be exact) and in the Book of Mormon (3rd Nephi Chapter 1). I know that will be a tradition we will have with our family throughout the years.
Christmas is after all about the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. There are so many things that make me think of him this time of year. It may be in a song like "Born on Christmas Day" or "Mary did you know", in movies, or in the stories we read. I love my Savior. He has done so much for me personally. Without him and his sacrifice I would not be the person I am today. I also would not be married to the wonderful man who brings me so much joy. I wouldn't know that families can be together FOREVER. I know I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for him. Every day I am grateful that he loved me enough to do what I couldn't do for myself. He has helped me through the hardest parts of my life, and he has rejoiced with me in all the wonderful times. I know that he lives and that he loves me and he loves my husband and my family REGARDLESS.
No comments:
Post a Comment