Anyone who knows me even a little knows my love for animals. I've had pets pretty much my entire life. My parents had a cat named Tazmar when I was just a baby, in fact I think I was the only one of my siblings that met him. I don't remember him, but have pictures of him.
Me and Tazmar
I grew up with the best dog ever named Mack. He was a very special dog. He was a German Shepherd and my best friend. He was there for me in ways nothing else has ever been. Honestly he is the reason I decided to always have a dog. We decided to put him down when I was 15 (so 11 years ago), and it's probably the moment that really made me decide that becoming a vet was what I wanted to do. He took a piece of my heart with him, and I think of him often.
(I don't have any pictures of Mack on my computer, but lots of prints of him)
My family got Splash just before Mack died. He was a German Shepherd/Lab Mix. His story is an amazing one. Splash came to us in a shoe box barely alive (because we apparently are the family to save animals lol) from my uncle and cousin. We weren't sure if he was going to make it, because he would barely eat. My mom had to feed him with a dropper, one drop at a time to get him to eat. He had this green slimy stuff oozing out of him, so we got him checked out by the vet. Apparently because he was the runt of a large litter, his mother had been trying to end his life and those were from where she was biting him (that's just how animals are, but it broke my heart). Eventually he turned into this big black monster dog, who the vet couldn't believe was the same dog. He and I shared a birthday (I was 15 years older than him). He passed away this last September and he still holds a special place in my heart.
Splash
Then there is Jag. Jag is a purebred Rat Terrier, the 1st pet that wasn't given to my family, and the 1st inside dog my family had. My family got Jag to help my brother Ethan with responsibility and other things (Ethan has autism). However when Ethan would go to school Jag was home with Mom all day and slowly Jag became Mom's dog. He loves to lay in the sun, and is he hears or sees a UPS truck goes bazerk. He showed me how different it is to have a dog inside and with you all the time.
Jag
Then there is Bo. Bo is a Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix. My mom originally got Bo to help her with herding cows, but once he was around them he wanted nothing to do with them. Go figure. He lived outside with Splash for the first 5 years of his life. Splash was very possessive of my mom, so Bo was never around her. He is a herding dog, and would herd Splash and the horses (we didn't like it when he would herd the horses). Bo has a fascination with water. Eventually Bo and Splash would fight anytime some would pay attention to Bo. It got really bad. The day before my sister got married last June they were fighting and my mom got her hand between them and I had to take her to get stitches. Not long after that Jared and I decided to make Bo our dog that way the fighting would stop. Bo is a different dog now, and I can see what a lack of attention will do to a dog. He doesn't like anyone but me, Jared and my family really, though I am hoping that will change in time. He really is a great dog, and the one on one attention he gets is doing wonders for him. Love that dog!
Bo & Splash
Opie
Bo
Then a few years ago my brother Ethan got a Golden Retriever named Buddy. Buddy is very much Ethan's dog. They have taken some obedience classes and he always listens to Ethan though he doesn't always with the rest of us. Buddy loves to play ball. Buddy has made such a difference in Ethan's life, which I am so grateful for.
Buddy (fairly confident he is staring at a ball in this picture)
My sister Kaitlin adopted a cat back in 2011 named Lilly. She is an odd cat, but I guess when a cat grows up with 4 dogs that'll happen. She acts very much like a dog (she goes and cries at the door until someone lets her out, something she learned from the 2 dogs). Though she uses the litter box and eats only cat food. She's such a pretty kitty even when she is dirty from being outside(don't try and give a cat a bath like you would a dog it's a scary situation). She lives with my family still even though Kaitlin is married and lives in Arizona (honestly she doesn't like Kaitlin ever since she left for college).
Lilly
At the beginning of 2013 after my dad and Ethan started volunteering at the animal shelter my family adopted another cat. Her name is Pheobe, and she is the most affectionate cat I have ever seen. She will rub up on you until you stop what you are doing and pet her. She is really my dad's cat, which is weird because my dad isn't that much of an animal person (though he loves that cat and spoils her). Her and Lilly will fight, but often avoid each other.
Pheobe
I think I'll sum up all the horses here. My family has had many horses. Currently my family has 2, Ray and Tuff. They are both approaching 20 years old. Ray is "my horse" or at least he listens to me better than anyone else. Tuff belonged to Grandpa Carl (adopted grandpa from up the street from my family) up until he no longer could ride, then he belonged to my mom's best friend Schutte. Tuff is probably the best horse my mom has ever had. Here is a list of the other horses we've owned: Opie (the prettiest horse we have ever owned & only mare I could stand), Allie, Dancer (she had cysts on her ovaries that made her hormonal, she also nearly drowned my mom, now belongs to Schutte I think), Tonto (name says it all, I did 4H with him), Ollie, Contessa (he was the best horse for kids, but would trot your brains out), and Scout (we got her as a baby, sent her to trainers, only to have to put her down because of constant collic).
Scout as a baby Opie
Tessa & Ray
(I couldn't find photos on my computer of our other horses we've had, but have prints I am sure)
My family has had birds, hamsters, and some fish but lets face it they are your less exciting pets.
I love having pets, and they are a part of who I am. I will always have a dog. Pets love you unconditionally whether you love them back or not. I feel more safe having a dog at home. They just add something to life like nothing else can.




1 comment:
I also love animals... I would love to own a dog but we would have to move out of this trailer court. I kind of adopted a stray cat... Sometimes I feed her and I love petting her soft fur!
Post a Comment